Welcome to the Alavese Plains! We are in a small territory in the interior of the Basque Country, a place that hides a multitude of secrets and where you can enjoy countless places with your family, as a couple or on your own. We encourage you to enjoy it.
– The painted churches of Añua, Arbulu, Gazeo and Alaitza: they are the Jewels of the Llanada, four churches with unique mural paintings. You can listen to a short audio guide here: Alaitza | Gazeo | Añua | Arbulu
– Historic quarter of Agurain. See more
– Ethnographic Museum of Zalduondo. In Zalduondo you can also enjoy the traditional rural carnivals. See more
– Dolmens of Aizkomendi and Sorginetxe.
– San Adrián tunnel, a historic place through which pilgrims, merchants and kings have passed over the centuries.
– The castro of Henaio, an ancient fortified settlement established at the end of the Bronze Age. See more
– The Sanctuary of Estíbaliz, the jewel of Romanesque architecture in the Basque Country. This is also the site of the Alava Romanesque Interpretation Centre. See more
– Aizkorri-Aratz Natural Park, with numerous routes on foot, including the path to the source of the river Zirauntza. See more
– Leze cave, where you can go climbing and canyoning.
– Natura 2000 network. areas.
– Entzia mountains, where you can enjoy the Mendiluze cromletx, the Arno labyrinth or the Legaire fields.
– Garaio Provincial Park, an aquatic paradise where you can enjoy blue flag beaches and water sports. See more
– Toberia waterfalls, a succession of waterfalls of great beauty.
– Mendixur ornithological park, a strategic place for observing the numerous species of birds that inhabit this wetland. See more
In Alavese Plains there are numerous cheese dairies that make cheese with the Idiazabal designation of origin. Some of them can be visited, and it is possible to buy cheese in many places. Potatoes and pulses are also grown here, and in autumn it is possible to pick mushrooms.
The Tourist Office also has cheese, sausages and other local gastronomic products for sale.
On the tourist map you can find more information about these places, as well as contact details, a list of accommodation, restaurants and active tourism companies.
DO YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS? YOU CAN CONTACT US AT THE ALAVESE PLAINS REGIONAL TOURIST OFFICE:
Calle Mayor, 8. Agurain-Salvatierra
Telephone: (+34) 945 30 29 31
We are working to expand the contents in English!